Sunday, June 21, 2009

Life in the slow lane

I left the career job almost 2 months ago. So, how is it going? Is not working a full-time cubicle job all it's cracked up to be?

You bet!

I realize that this is a unique time in my life. In a few short weeks, I'll be living in B.C. and hopefully getting around to being productive again. After a few weeks of visiting friends and relatives, I'll start chasing down some Wwoofing farms to work on. In September, it's on to New Zealand and hopefully 6 months of travelling. After that, I guess I start another career. Still have to put food on the table.

I am really enjoying this half-speed life that I am living. I'm busy everyday, but realistically only for a few hours. That still leaves a lot of uncharted time to deal with.

Is there any guilt? None whatsoever. My only real concern is the complete lack of routine and the loss of some healthy habits. I haven't stretched since I left Dal. My back tells me everyday, all day, that stretching is required. It will win out in the end, but for now, sloth rules.

Unless life interrupts, this is my daily routine

- Sleep in a bit
- Drink coffee, read paper, read email and online news
- Maybe watch a bit of Comedy Central and Colbert Report
- Work on house or travel to-do list
- Run errands (literally)
- Have a bath, beer and nap in late afternoon (So relaxing)
- Cheap, healthy supper (salads, pasta)
- Get in some reading or computer work
- Bed early (some things just don't change)

I'm really in no hurry for this phase to end. That being said, I am getting itchy feet and really looking forward to stepping out the door with my little knapsack and heading off for some sort of adventure for the rest of the year.

No comments: